Samurai Cinema: The Way of the Warrior Festival at ACMI in Melbourne
ACMI in Federation Square, Melbourne, is holding a three-week long film festival celebrating the samurai film genre. 13 films are being shown, grouped into three themes: courage, honor, and honesty. Films include classics by Kurosawa (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, The Hidden Fortress); modern takes like Twilight Samurai, 13 Assassins, and Lady Snowblood, and less-obvious choices in Wages of Fear, Ghost Dog, and the Western film Shane.
In the spirit of the Samurai Cinema screenings, Film Blerg will be reviewing each film over the coming weeks. We hope you enjoy our humble words about some very entertaining films. To see the full ACMI list of films, click here.
Chapter 1: Courage
- Yojimbo (Yojinbo)
- The Seven Samurai (Shichinin no samurai)
- The Wages of Fear (Le salaire de la peur)
- Twilight Samurai (Tasogare seibei)
Chapter 2: Honour
- The Hidden Fortress (Kakushi-toride no san-akunin)
- 13 Assassins (Jusan-nin no shikaku)
- Lone Wolf and Cub + Lady Snowblood
Chapter 3: Honesty